A woman arrested last month in Hawkins County, Tennessee, has died while in custody, according to a report issued Friday by Sheriff Ronnie Lawson.
Lora Elizabeth Birchfield, 51, was arrested on June 29 for theft of property over $1,000 and unlawful possession of a weapon. Lawson reported that Birchfield became ill while housed in the county detention center in Rogersville on Monday and was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.
An autopsy is being performed and results will be released at a later date, the sheriff said.
- President Trump and family now land owners in Hawkins County
- Businesses in downtown Marion deck the windows for holiday contest
- UPDATE: Bristol, Tennessee man sentenced to 10 years for child sex crimes
- Sullivan County Highway Department has new tools to clear slippery roads
- UPDATE: Governor Haslam offers $5K reward for info on Bristol Walmart murder