HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. - A former Hawkins County jail guard has turned himself in on an assault charge.
We've learned the charge stems from an investigation by the TBI of an incident that happened back in February.
37-year-old Roy Junior Mathes of Rogersville was indicted on one count of assault. The investigation into an incident that happened between Mathes and an inmate began on March 1, 2013.
The inmate, 24-year-old Lloyd Gibson of Johnson City, was being held on a failure to appear charge when Mathes was accused of hitting Gibson's head on a jail door while removing him from his cell.
Mathes was fired from his position.
He was booked into the Hawkins County jail this morning.
- New KISS concert in Manchester canceled after terrorist attacks
- New Tennessee governor signs NRA-backed metal detector gun bill
- New Former Texas nurse accused of killing dozens of kids in '80s
- UPDATE: Johnson County juvenile pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Muslim man sues Little Caesars over pizza labeled 'halal'