HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. - A former Hawkins County jail guard has turned himself in on an assault charge.
We've learned the charge stems from an investigation by the TBI of an incident that happened back in February.
37-year-old Roy Junior Mathes of Rogersville was indicted on one count of assault. The investigation into an incident that happened between Mathes and an inmate began on March 1, 2013.
The inmate, 24-year-old Lloyd Gibson of Johnson City, was being held on a failure to appear charge when Mathes was accused of hitting Gibson's head on a jail door while removing him from his cell.
Mathes was fired from his position.
He was booked into the Hawkins County jail this morning.
- Updated BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Updated Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview