HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. - A Hawkins County couple charged in the death of a five-year-old girl appeared in court Friday morning.
Randall and Mary Vaughn are charged with first degree murder, two counts of aggravated child neglect and aggravated child abuse. A jury will decide if they face life in prison or the death penalty if convicted.
Hawkins County deputies say the charges stem from the January 2012 death of Randall Vaughn's daughter Alexa Linboom. According to autopsy results, the child died after being forced to drink in excess of two liters of soda and water.
The couple will back in court April 30 for pre-trial motions. The trial date is set for October 20.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Updated UPDATE: Former Bristol doctor receives probation on tax charges
- New Griffith, Kitts set for showdown in Virginia 9th District debate
- Arby's to sell venison sandwiches in 6 deer-hunting states