HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. - A Hawkins County couple charged in the death of a five-year-old girl appeared in court Friday morning.
Randall and Mary Vaughn are charged with first degree murder, two counts of aggravated child neglect and aggravated child abuse. A jury will decide if they face life in prison or the death penalty if convicted.
Hawkins County deputies say the charges stem from the January 2012 death of Randall Vaughn's daughter Alexa Linboom. According to autopsy results, the child died after being forced to drink in excess of two liters of soda and water.
The couple will back in court April 30 for pre-trial motions. The trial date is set for October 20.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend