A Greene County grandmother that police said killed a pregnant Afton woman last summer then dumped her body was arraigned Friday in Criminal Court in Greeneville.
Vonda Smith turned herself in after a grand jury indicted her in March on two counts of first-degree murder for the killings of Jessica Nicole Morrison, 21, and her unborn child. Police said that Morrison was the mother of Smith's grandchild from a previous relationship.
A judge refused a request from Smith's attorney to lower her $800,000 bond. She remains in jail and now has a jury trial set to begin January 8.
A motive has still not been released by police as to why Smith killed the woman. The victim's body was found at Jud Neal Loop on August 12, 2016.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death