HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. - UPDATE 8/22, 10:08 p.m.
The trial is over for a Greeneville, Tennessee man accused of killing his father.
A Hawkins County jury convicted Ethan Self in the first degree murder of his father, Greenville Police officer, Roger Self. Several members of the Greeneville Police Department were in the courtroom when the verdict came down.
Ethan confessed to police that he accidentally shot his father three years ago at their home on Love Street in Greeneville. He also told police that he messed up the house to make it look like a break-in and then tossed the gun into a pond.
Ethan was sentenced to life in prison. He will be eligible for parole after serving 51 years.
UPDATE 8/22/2013, 1:33 p.m.:
Ethan Self was found guilty of first degree murder and sentenced to life in prison.
We'll have more information tonight on News 5 WCYB.
Closing arguments are underway in a murder trial underway in Rogersville, Tennessee.
Ethan Self is on trial for the murder of his father, Greeneville police officer Roger Self.
Prosecutors say Self used his father's service pistol to shoot him.
The defense claims Roger Self was an abusive father and husband.
We have a crew in the courtroom and will bring you more on this as it develops.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day