GREENEVILLE, Tenn. - A teenager charged in a school stabbing is appearing in juvenile court today.
The Greene County Sheriff's Office says a 16-year-old stabbed 15-year-old Daniel Birchfield in the back on Monday morning at South Greene High School. Click here to read more.
Deputies say a fight over a girl sparked the attack. Daniel is expected to make a full recovery.
The 16-year-old suspect faces an attempted first degree murder charge.
On Friday, a judge ordered the suspect to remain in custody and put a gag order in place. He's still being held at the Johnson City Juvenile Detention Center.
The next court date will be November 7.
There is still no decision on whether the suspect will be tried as an adult.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway