GREENE COUNTY, Tenn. - A rescue operation in Greene County has turned into a recovery operation.
The sheriff's department tells News 5 WCYB they are now treating the matter as the first drowning of the year.
Authorities tell us they are searching for a 25-year-old man, whom relatives identify as Nahum Martinez Vidal.
Officials say he did not know how to swim and was in the water with friends near a sandbar in the Nolichuckey River.
He apparently disappeared under the water around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday night.
Crews have been dragging the water with rescue boats and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is scanning the bottom of the river with SONAR.
The search is centered around the birds bridge road area.
- Updated BREAKING: One person shot, flown to hospital in Washington County, Va.
- Tusculum and Mosheim voters must decide on liquor sales
- Bigger turnout in second year of Push! Film Festival
- Family Justice Center to open in Sullivan County
- Voting on wine sales in retail food stores in two Unicoi County towns