GREENE COUNTY, Tenn. - A rescue operation in Greene County has turned into a recovery operation.
The sheriff's department tells News 5 WCYB they are now treating the matter as the first drowning of the year.
Authorities tell us they are searching for a 25-year-old man, whom relatives identify as Nahum Martinez Vidal.
Officials say he did not know how to swim and was in the water with friends near a sandbar in the Nolichuckey River.
He apparently disappeared under the water around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday night.
Crews have been dragging the water with rescue boats and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is scanning the bottom of the river with SONAR.
The search is centered around the birds bridge road area.
- New Another 'Chicken Head Mafia' member sentenced in drug case
- 2-year-old drowns in North Carolina swimming pool
- South Dakota teen with cancer gets OK to walk at graduation
- 2 juveniles charged in former Kingsport IGA building fire
- New resource plans to help mothers bearing drug addicted babies in Tri-Cities