GREENE COUNTY, Tenn. - September 18, 2013, 11:00 a.m. update:
On Wednesday jurors heard from Rep. David Hawk's defense team in his assault trial.
Hawk took the stand and continued to maintain he was innocent.
Hawk said the argument started when his then wife Crystal Goan got a text message from attorney Tom Jesse, who practices in Johnson City. He said the message stated, "Meet me in Paris you deserve better. I will buy you a black midget instead of beautiful shoes. Sleep well, but dream vividly of me. Night.".
Jurors went home about 9:00 p.m. Wednesday. Earlier they said they were deadlocked. The judge had them keep deliberating. Jurors will continue deliberations on Thursday at 8:30 a.m.
September 18, 2013, 10:30 a.m. update:
An attorney for Tennessee Representative David Hawk began presenting the defense's case in Hawk's trial Wednesday morning.
Hawk himself took the witness stand explaining what happened at his home in March.
He is accused of attacking his now ex-wife, Crystal Goan, during a domestic situation. Goan testified Tuesday that Hawk pulled her out of bed, then dragged her on the floor. She also said there was a second attack later. Click here to read more about Goan's testimony
Hawk is a Republican lawmaker from Greene County.
News 5 is in the courtroom and we will have the latest on the trial on News 5 at Noon and updates throughout the day here on wcyb.com.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City