Corporate officials with J.C. Penney released a list of stores to be closed as part of a financial reorganization announced last month.
The Greeneville, Tennessee location at the Greeneville Commons shopping area and the Boone Mall store located in Boone, North Carolina are both among the 138 stores listed for closure in the Friday report.
The February announcement was labeled as a successful return to profitability by implementing a plan to optimize its national retail operations. CEO and Chairman Marvin Ellison said the closures would help the company adjust to the threat of online retailers.
The company offered early retirement to 6,000 of its store associates and also planned to close two distribution centers as part of the plan.
- Bristol, Va. school system operating under tight budget; asking city for extra funds
- Appalachian Power inspecting 600,000 power poles for any structural damage
- More accidents expected as Mt. Carmel speed cameras expire
- Mount Carmel BMA considers town park expansion
- Bluff City speed cam offline in 2019