Corporate officials with J.C. Penney released a list of stores to be closed as part of a financial reorganization announced last month.
The Greeneville, Tennessee location at the Greeneville Commons shopping area and the Boone Mall store located in Boone, North Carolina are both among the 138 stores listed for closure in the Friday report.
The February announcement was labeled as a successful return to profitability by implementing a plan to optimize its national retail operations. CEO and Chairman Marvin Ellison said the closures would help the company adjust to the threat of online retailers.
The company offered early retirement to 6,000 of its store associates and also planned to close two distribution centers as part of the plan.
- Updated Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death