GREENE COUNTY, Tenn. - There's good news for people looking for jobs in Greene County Tennessee: the unemployment numbers have dropped.
According to numbers released from the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Greene County's unemployment for August is 11.1; that's down from 11.4 in July.
President of the Greene County Partnership, Tom Ferguson, tells us the number fluctuates because there are several seasonal jobs in the county giving people more opportunities for employment.
Ferguson says there are jobs available now in the county. "We know that there are jobs out there that are available. There are a number of companies in town that we've been working with over the last year. So if you have skills or you are trainable and can obtain skills there are jobs in the market," adds Ferguson.
Greene County's unemployment rate is the same as it was this time last year. The state's unemployment rate for August was 8.5, the same as in July.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project