KINGSPORT, Tenn. - A former Kingsport Catholic priest convicted of rape, wants a new trial.
William Casey was sentenced to 35 to 40 years in prison after being convicted of molesting and altar boy more than three decades ago. This was after a Sullivan County jury found him guilty.
Casey, a long-time resident of the Camp Creek community of Greene County, was serving as priest at St. Dominic Catholic Church in Kingsport when the victim told authorities the crimes happened.
According to the Greeneville Sun, a brief was filed Tuesday by Casey's attorneys requesting the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals to "reverse his conviction and dismiss the indictment against him with prejudice."
His attorneys are also asking for a new trial. The court has 30 days to respond to the points raised in the brief.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day