A federal judge on Friday closed a 25-year case that sought improvements in the care of Tennesseans with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The last remaining item to bring that suit to an end was the closure of Greene County's Greene Valley Developmental Center which was shuttered in May. New living facilities were constructed by the state to accommodate the center's 16 remaining patients.
The plan to exit the suit was executed in January 2015 by the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and TennCare which included overhauls in training for employees, law enforcement, physicians and caregivers to the state's disabled residents.
- Kingsport veteran and his mother receive Holston Habitat home
- Tractor Trailer crash on I-81 causing delays
- Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors give Christmas presents to their mentees
- Crews out in force to keep roads safe Friday
- Scott County woman plays role of Santa Claus; distributes hundreds of presents to kids in need