SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Sullivan County District Attorney General Barry Staubus says a woman, who police say was abused by her granddaughter, died.
Staubus says 75-year-old Deloris Shaffer was treated in the hospital for malnutrition, dehydration, and pneumonia.
The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office arrested 25-year-old Kayla Watson on Tuesday and charged her with willful abuse, neglect or exploitation of an adult.
Investigators believe Watson, Shaffer's granddaughter, was also her caretaker and failed to properly care for her grandmother.
We're told Watson could face additional charges.
- Updated Highway 421 to reopen Tuesday between Mountain City and Shady Valley
- Updated Buchanan County drug roundup leads to over 20 arrests
- Updated Report: Presidential Debate captures 80.9 million viewers
- Bluff City tagged with $25,000 fine from state for sewer violation
- Man accused of killing father in Buchanan County appears in court