SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - UPDATE 8:22 a.m. - The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office has identified the victim as Ashley Vincente of Johnson City.
Officers say the drowning appears to be accidental.
The Sullivan County Sheriff's Department confirms a 9-year-old girl drowned in a backyard pool Sunday afternoon.
It happened at 247 Samuel Street in the Bloomingdale section of Kingsport.
We're told the girl was with her father delivering a lawnmower the homeowner had purchased earlier in the day.
Witnesses at the scene say the girl was playing in the yard while the two men looked at the lawnmower.
According to the sheriff's office, the girl's father looked up but couldn't find her. The 9-year-old was discovered a short time later in the pool.
We're told CPR was performed until emergency crews arrived.
The girl was taken to Holston Valley Medical Center, where she later died.
The name of the victim has not been released.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect