BRISTOL, Tenn. - Firefighters were welcoming people into their home Saturday as the kick-off to Fire Prevention Week.
A Smoke Trailer was sitting outside the Bristol Tennessee Fire Department to show people how quickly smoke can fill a home.
This year's theme is having two ways out of your home if there is an emergency. "Some homes have a secondary door that may lead to the outside or your window is your secondary option. So if you're on an upper floor you need to plan with that and make sure you have an escape ladder," said Assistant Chief Jack Spurgeon.
Firefighters say a smoke alarm is the best tool to save lives. If you have questions about your smoke alarm, it's best to call or stop by your local fire department.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon