BRISTOL, Tenn. - Firefighters were welcoming people into their home Saturday as the kick-off to Fire Prevention Week.
A Smoke Trailer was sitting outside the Bristol Tennessee Fire Department to show people how quickly smoke can fill a home.
This year's theme is having two ways out of your home if there is an emergency. "Some homes have a secondary door that may lead to the outside or your window is your secondary option. So if you're on an upper floor you need to plan with that and make sure you have an escape ladder," said Assistant Chief Jack Spurgeon.
Firefighters say a smoke alarm is the best tool to save lives. If you have questions about your smoke alarm, it's best to call or stop by your local fire department.
- UPDATE: escaped UPS Lee inmates captured in Mexico
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator