BRISTOL, Tenn. - Firefighters were welcoming people into their home Saturday as the kick-off to Fire Prevention Week.
A Smoke Trailer was sitting outside the Bristol Tennessee Fire Department to show people how quickly smoke can fill a home.
This year's theme is having two ways out of your home if there is an emergency. "Some homes have a secondary door that may lead to the outside or your window is your secondary option. So if you're on an upper floor you need to plan with that and make sure you have an escape ladder," said Assistant Chief Jack Spurgeon.
Firefighters say a smoke alarm is the best tool to save lives. If you have questions about your smoke alarm, it's best to call or stop by your local fire department.
- Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Local overcrowded animal shelter fighting to avoid euthanasia
- More law enforcement agencies in our region looking to carry a lifesaving drug
- Norton clinic improving health for black lung patients
- Lowe's Heroes Project making improvements to Cherokee Elementary School