KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - A senior judge will not give the families of a murdered Knoxville couple access to investigation files involving a former judge in the case.
Richard Baumgartner left the bench in disgrace after it was revealed he was buying painkillers from a felon in his drug court.
His drug addiction led to the retrials of two people in the torture and murder cases of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.
We're told Judge Walter Kurtz on Friday ruled the Christian and Newsome families "lack standing" to ask for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation files on Baumgartner to be unsealed.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death