KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - A senior judge will not give the families of a murdered Knoxville couple access to investigation files involving a former judge in the case.
Richard Baumgartner left the bench in disgrace after it was revealed he was buying painkillers from a felon in his drug court.
His drug addiction led to the retrials of two people in the torture and murder cases of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.
We're told Judge Walter Kurtz on Friday ruled the Christian and Newsome families "lack standing" to ask for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation files on Baumgartner to be unsealed.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone