JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - ETSU is hosting its second-annual comic convention this weekend.
ETSUCon surpassed the attendance record from last year in just one day. Organizers tell us 1,000 visitors had already come through by Saturday afternoon.
More than 80 artists and vendors were on scene to display all things comic and anime.
Convention manager Nick Papworth tells us this event showcases school programs as well.
"The first is to showcase what ETSU in terms of slightly more nerdy classes, but really great programs like our theatre department, our digital media department, our computer science department, all of which have professors that work in the industry," Papworth says.
He tells us those professors are working at places like Disney and Pixar. The second purpose, he says, is to give students something to do on the weekends.
- Death toll from Sevier County wildfires increases to 14
- Updated Comptroller critical of Washington County, TN Sheriff's Office
- Kingsport man wanted for violent attack on female victim and cat
- Police searching for man suspected in 2 Kingsport burglaries
- Police: Fake news story led gunman to popular DC pizzeria