JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - ETSU is hosting its second-annual comic convention this weekend.
ETSUCon surpassed the attendance record from last year in just one day. Organizers tell us 1,000 visitors had already come through by Saturday afternoon.
More than 80 artists and vendors were on scene to display all things comic and anime.
Convention manager Nick Papworth tells us this event showcases school programs as well.
"The first is to showcase what ETSU in terms of slightly more nerdy classes, but really great programs like our theatre department, our digital media department, our computer science department, all of which have professors that work in the industry," Papworth says.
He tells us those professors are working at places like Disney and Pixar. The second purpose, he says, is to give students something to do on the weekends.
- Sheriff: Social media rumors concerning Northwood High School being investigated
- Gone without a trace, Honaker man missing for a week
- Bogus Bills Bust: Washington County TN nab another counterfeit cash criminal
- Local healthcare leaders, educators discuss upcoming changes to Affordable Care Act
- For Weston: 'Feed the Fire' honors Kingsport boy's dream