SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - A massive accident closed down part of Interstate 81 in Tennessee near the I-26 interchange.
Tennessee Highway Patrol tells us around 5:30 Saturday afternoon, a tractor trailer was traveling south when it was rear ended by another semi-truck, which then burst in to flames.
Both southbound lanes of Interstate 81 were shut down for hours as crews cleared the scene.
Troopers tell us the driver of the truck that caught on fire, Cesar Gonzalaez, was answering a text message at the time of the accident.
He was cited with failure to exercise due care and texting while operating a commercial vehicle.
Gonzalez was taken to Holston Valley Medical Center with minor injuries. The other driver is OK.
- New KPS Global completes $1M expansion in Piney Flats facility
- Exide Technologies withdraws application to reopen, News 5 uncovers dozens of violations in its past
- Southwest Virginia leaders focus on re-entry efforts for inmates
- Wise man who stole ginseng roots given probation
- UPDATE: Bristol assisted living worker pleads guilty to assaulting 94-year-old woman