SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - A massive accident closed down part of Interstate 81 in Tennessee near the I-26 interchange.
Tennessee Highway Patrol tells us around 5:30 Saturday afternoon, a tractor trailer was traveling south when it was rear ended by another semi-truck, which then burst in to flames.
Both southbound lanes of Interstate 81 were shut down for hours as crews cleared the scene.
Troopers tell us the driver of the truck that caught on fire, Cesar Gonzalaez, was answering a text message at the time of the accident.
He was cited with failure to exercise due care and texting while operating a commercial vehicle.
Gonzalez was taken to Holston Valley Medical Center with minor injuries. The other driver is OK.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting