KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport Fire Captain Sean Broyles tells News 5 holiday decorations can easily become hazards if they aren't properly placed and taken care of.
"If you use a live Christmas tree, make sure that you keep plenty of water in it and the keep the bottom scrapped off, so it can absorb the water," said Sean Broyles.
If not, Broyles says you could have a mess on your hands.
"A Christmas tree that catches on fire burns very rapidly and very violently. And a situation like that can go beyond us putting it out," said Broyles.
According to the National Fire Protection Association two out of every five decoration fires are started by candles.
"If you're using actual candles for decoration, you want make sure you keep them at least 12 inches away from anything flammable," said Broyles.
We found some other tips to help you keep your holiday decor from going up in flames.
Don't overload your electrical outlets and check them periodically, they should not be warm to the touch.
Turn off all holiday lights before you leave the house or go to bed.
Don't block exit routes with trees or decorations.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect