JOHNSON CITY, Tenn - Science Hill football players will soon be getting a new field house.
In July, city commissioners unanimously approved a contract with Johnson City's J.E Green Company to build the new Kermit Tipton Stadium field house.
The new facility will include locker rooms, showers, training room, coaches offices, weight-training room, as well as room to move seventh- and eighth-grade activities out of Freedom Hall and into the new field house. The field house should be complete next year.
Construction for the field house began on July 28th, and will cost about 2 million dollars.
David Shupa, Supervisor of Instruction and Facilities, says that a majority of the money being used to complete the field house came form donors.
"A lot of discussion is always about how we could do this when were in a financially strapped year," said Shupa. "People have to understand this is a different source of money. This capital dollars as opposed to programmatic dollars."
The official ground breaking for the field house will be Saturday, August 4 at 10 a.m.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport