ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A woman is dead after a fire on 1427 Riverview Drive in Elizabethton.
Firefighters received the call around 9:15 Sunday morning.
Captain Mike Little tells News 5 some deacons at a local church noticed smoke as they were heading into morning service.
We're told smoke was coming from the back of the house and captain Little says the good Samaritans went into action. "They were able to assist two younger children, one being a teenager and other being a young child, getting them out of the back window. Undoubtedly saved their lives," he said.
However, another woman in the home was not able to get out of the home and died on scene. Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us 52-year-old Tracy Parsons died in the fire.
Mathes says it appears the fire started near the stove, but an investigation is underway.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting