ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A woman is dead after a fire on 1427 Riverview Drive in Elizabethton.
Firefighters received the call around 9:15 Sunday morning.
Captain Mike Little tells News 5 some deacons at a local church noticed smoke as they were heading into morning service.
We're told smoke was coming from the back of the house and captain Little says the good Samaritans went into action. "They were able to assist two younger children, one being a teenager and other being a young child, getting them out of the back window. Undoubtedly saved their lives," he said.
However, another woman in the home was not able to get out of the home and died on scene. Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us 52-year-old Tracy Parsons died in the fire.
Mathes says it appears the fire started near the stove, but an investigation is underway.
- New KPS Global completes $1M expansion in Piney Flats facility
- Exide Technologies withdraws application to reopen, News 5 uncovers dozens of violations in its past
- Southwest Virginia leaders focus on re-entry efforts for inmates
- Wise man who stole ginseng roots given probation
- UPDATE: Bristol assisted living worker pleads guilty to assaulting 94-year-old woman