CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - The family of a Carter County man killed in a hit-and-run last week is relieved that police have made an arrest.
Elizabethton officers arrested 20-year-old Chyanne Gobble Tuesday. They say while driving on the Elizabethton Highway, she hit Christopher Hughes as he was standing outside of his car. Police tell us Hughes had car trouble and had pulled off on the side of the road.
Police say witnesses on scene, along with a 911 call that came in hours after the crash, led them to Gobble.
Hughes' mother says the family is heartbroken over their loss. "Seeing him almost broke my heart. He didn't deserve to die the way he did. He was hit so hard," says Tonia Hughes.
Gobble is charged with leaving the scene of an accident involving death. She's due in court on October 18.
Her family told us they weren't allowed to comment per the advice of their lawyer.
- Updated Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane