CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says the shooting of a 13-year-old boy on Saturday appears to have been an accident.
On Saturday investigators said the 13-year-old boy and his 14-year-old brother were at their grandparents' house on Herman Peters Road when they found the gun in a closet.
Somehow, the gun went off; Sheriff Mathes believes the gun was unloaded when it was found. The 13-year-old boy was shot in the neck but expected to make a full recovery. Click here to read more.
The boy remains in stable condition at a hospital.
No charges have been filed in the shooting, but the sheriff's office continues to investigate the incident.
News 5 WCYB asked the teenagers' family for comment on the shooting, but they declined an interview.
- Updated Black Lives Matter event at ETSU crashed by man in gorilla mask
- Bristol, Va. woman charged with attempted robbery
- Sullivan County postal worker takes plea deal in hidden mail case
- Updated Senators ask Justice Department to investigate EpiPen maker
- Updated California limits travel to North Carolina over LGBT law