A man who a Carter County family trusted as a friend to babysit their infant son was sentenced to 93 years in prison Wednesday in Criminal Court for raping the child and filming the crime on an iPad.
Mark Alan Gwaltney, 52, took a plea deal with prosecutors earlier this year on a variety of charges including aggravated rape of a child and especially aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor.
The family told News 5 in May that it was the only time that they had let Gwaltney watch the child while they ran errands. The couple's other child discovered the video clips of the sex acts on the iPad a few days later.
Police said the incident took place in October 2015.
The baby's father, William McCool, said that Gwaltney was a former military police officer with children of his own.
- Victim of domestic violence speaks out; hopes to inspire others to seek help
- Kingsport city hall may be moving; officials examining costs to city
- Seat belt usage in Virginia reaches record high
- Police: Johnson City man arrested after pointing gun at store clerk
- Church Hill man pleads guilty to sexual exploitation of a minor