ELIZABETHTON, TENN. - Elizabethton police have found the driver involved in a fatal hit and run late Thursday night.
The accident happened about 10:00 PM. Police say Christopher Hughes had pulled his car to the side of the road after experiencing car trouble. Police believe Hughes was standing near his car when he was struck by another car which left the scene.
Elizabethton officers found Hughes beside the road. He was taken to the hospital where he died early Friday morning.
A witness called 911 with a description of the car and driver that hit Hughes. "the driver was not on scene when officers did arrive" said Captain Joey Markland of the Elizabethton Police Department " However as a result of our investigation we have been able to identify the person who we believe was the driver of that vehicle."
Elizabethton Police have talked to that driver. The Police chief says the evidence will be turned over to the district attorney to see if charges will be filed.
- UPDATE: escaped UPS Lee inmates captured in Mexico
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator