CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County church treasurer is facing charges after authorities say he stole more than $100,000 from the congregation.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us Silas Edward Sams is charged with theft.
Investigators were asked to look into the financial records at Beck Mountain Baptist Church six months ago. The sheriff says the found Sams had been writing himself checks for several years.
The total amount of money missing is not yet known, but they believe it's well over $100,000.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend