CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County church treasurer is facing charges after authorities say he stole more than $100,000 from the congregation.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us Silas Edward Sams is charged with theft.
Investigators were asked to look into the financial records at Beck Mountain Baptist Church six months ago. The sheriff says the found Sams had been writing himself checks for several years.
The total amount of money missing is not yet known, but they believe it's well over $100,000.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day