CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County church treasurer is facing charges after authorities say he stole more than $100,000 from the congregation.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us Silas Edward Sams is charged with theft.
Investigators were asked to look into the financial records at Beck Mountain Baptist Church six months ago. The sheriff says the found Sams had been writing himself checks for several years.
The total amount of money missing is not yet known, but they believe it's well over $100,000.
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia