CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County church treasurer is facing charges after authorities say he stole more than $100,000 from the congregation.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us Silas Edward Sams is charged with theft.
Investigators were asked to look into the financial records at Beck Mountain Baptist Church six months ago. The sheriff says the found Sams had been writing himself checks for several years.
The total amount of money missing is not yet known, but they believe it's well over $100,000.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect