CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County teacher is facing charges after being accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 13-year-old student.
Kelly Smith is charged with solicitation of a person under 18 years of age and solicitation of a minor to observe sexual conduct.
Authorities tell us the student's cell phone contained more than 400 texts from Smith and also some explicit photographs of the 30-year-old teacher.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says the inappropriate relationship was discovered as a result of good parenting. The Sheriff said the mother of the girl inspected her cell phone monthly and that is how the communications came to light.
This is not the first time the teacher has been in trouble. According to the Sheriff's Department, Smith is on unpaid suspension from his job after being arrested in February for his second DUI offense.
- Updated Man convicted in massive crack cocaine conspiracy in northeast Tennessee
- Updated Details released on capture of one escaped inmate from Hawkins County
- Authorities search for violent, dangerous escaped inmate
- Shop sells shirts to raise $40K for fallen officer's family
- Case of Greene Co. man accused in shooting sent to grand jury