CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County teacher is facing charges after being accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 13-year-old student.
Kelly Smith is charged with solicitation of a person under 18 years of age and solicitation of a minor to observe sexual conduct.
Authorities tell us the student's cell phone contained more than 400 texts from Smith and also some explicit photographs of the 30-year-old teacher.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says the inappropriate relationship was discovered as a result of good parenting. The Sheriff said the mother of the girl inspected her cell phone monthly and that is how the communications came to light.
This is not the first time the teacher has been in trouble. According to the Sheriff's Department, Smith is on unpaid suspension from his job after being arrested in February for his second DUI offense.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Updated Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death