CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - The Carter County Sheriff's Department and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations is looking into a Tuesday afternoon shooting involving an officer.
Sheriff Chris Mathes said deputies were near the Dollar General on Milligan Highway looking for Keith Lynn Brummitt. Mathes said Brummitt had felony and misdemeanor warrants for theft, failure to appear and assault.
According to Mathes, when deputies found Brummitt, he ran into a wooded area on Okolona Road. "One officer was able to apprehend him. A fight ensued. The officer was forced to use deadly force in this incident," Mathes said.
The deputy, whose name is not being released yet, shot Brummitt in the shoulder. Both the deputy and Brummitt were taken to local hospitals for non life threatening injuries.
"This was someone who was wanted and didn't want to go to jail," Mathes said. "So he fled from us."
The shooting is still under investigation.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport