ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A corrections officer in eastern Tennessee has been fired and his actions will be examined by a grand jury after an investigation into an alleged assault on a prisoner.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says an investigation showed that Chancelor Presnell violated general orders for unbecoming conduct, misconduct with inmates, excessive force resulting in injury, not reporting the use of force and departure from his work zone without authorization. Mathes fired Presnell on Friday after nine months in the job.
Mathes said a criminal investigation was being conducted and the case would probably be presented during the September session of the grand jury.
- Updated Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire