ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A corrections officer in eastern Tennessee has been fired and his actions will be examined by a grand jury after an investigation into an alleged assault on a prisoner.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says an investigation showed that Chancelor Presnell violated general orders for unbecoming conduct, misconduct with inmates, excessive force resulting in injury, not reporting the use of force and departure from his work zone without authorization. Mathes fired Presnell on Friday after nine months in the job.
Mathes said a criminal investigation was being conducted and the case would probably be presented during the September session of the grand jury.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City