ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A corrections officer in eastern Tennessee has been fired and his actions will be examined by a grand jury after an investigation into an alleged assault on a prisoner.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says an investigation showed that Chancelor Presnell violated general orders for unbecoming conduct, misconduct with inmates, excessive force resulting in injury, not reporting the use of force and departure from his work zone without authorization. Mathes fired Presnell on Friday after nine months in the job.
Mathes said a criminal investigation was being conducted and the case would probably be presented during the September session of the grand jury.
- Updated UPDATE: ETSU issues statement on student intimidating Black Lives Matter protest
- Updated Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- New ETSU student charged with intimidation for gorilla mask act at Black Lives Matter protest
- Updated Buchanan County holds highest unemployment rate in Virginia
- Senators ask Justice Department to investigate EpiPen maker