CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County man is recovering after police say he accidentally shot himself in the chin.
Captain Jeff Markland with the Carter County Sheriff's Office tells us officers were called to a home off of Highway 91 Sunday Night. He says when they arrived they found 69-year-old William Rood with a gunshot wound.
Markland says Rood told police he took off his jeans and laid them on the dresser, and that's when the .25 caliber semi-automatic pistol fired a shot. Markland tells us Rood told police he had other things, like tools, in his pocket and that may have caused the gun to go off.
Markland has some safety tips if you're carrying a gun. "You just need to be familiar with that weapon and make sure a thing like this can't happen. If you carry one in your pocket, make sure it's on safety and make sure that it can't be discharged," he said.
Markland tells us evidence from the scene matches the statements from Rood. We're told Rood is in at the Johnson City Medical Center in the ICU and is listed in stable condition.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial