CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A man hiking The Appalachian Trail near Elizabethton, Tennessee has died.
Carter County Police say 71-year-old George Walls Grant from Collie, West Australia fell ill while hitchhiking to a marquee on Monday.
A motorist noticed Grant was having a medical problem and took him to the nearest rescue squad station.
He was then taken to a hospital emergency room where he was pronounced dead.
Police believe he was traveling the world to hike.
We're told there appears to be no foul play in Grant's death.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon