CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A man hiking The Appalachian Trail near Elizabethton, Tennessee has died.
Carter County Police say 71-year-old George Walls Grant from Collie, West Australia fell ill while hitchhiking to a marquee on Monday.
A motorist noticed Grant was having a medical problem and took him to the nearest rescue squad station.
He was then taken to a hospital emergency room where he was pronounced dead.
Police believe he was traveling the world to hike.
We're told there appears to be no foul play in Grant's death.
- Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Local overcrowded animal shelter fighting to avoid euthanasia
- More law enforcement agencies in our region looking to carry a lifesaving drug
- Norton clinic improving health for black lung patients
- Lowe's Heroes Project making improvements to Cherokee Elementary School