CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County man was charged with aggravated child abuse and neglect on Tuesday after his five-week-old infant daughter was found to be seriously injured.
We're told Matthew Clemons called 911 around 6 p.m. on March 14 to report the girl was having trouble breathing. The child was taken to Niswonger Children's Hospital and later transferred to Vanderbilt Medical Center, where it was discovered she had "sustained severe life-threatening injuries indicative of inflicted injury."
We're told Clemons was left alone with the girl for several hours before he called 911. The child's mother was at work.
Matthew Clemons was charged with aggravated child abuse and neglect on May 17. He is currently being held in the Carter County Detention Center under a $100,000 bond and will be in court on the next available date.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport