CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - We're gathering new facts tonight about some human remains that were found in carter county Wednesday. Click here to read that story.
The bones found near Gap Creek Road around noon on Wednesday by road crews. On Thursday Sheriff Chris Mathes told News 5 that based on evidence found in the area, the remains might be that of a man. "We did find a wallet there at the scene, it did have identification in it," he said. "So we have strong believe that this will be that individual."
The forensic unit is working to identify the remains and look for a cause of death. We're told it could be four to six weeks before they have more information.
Mathes says if they get dental records the identification process could take less time.
- New Thousands of school buses in Virginia need safety device
- New Virginia DMV: Bristol one of 21 localities with zero traffic fatalities in '16
- New UPDATE: 8-year-old girl among victims in Manchester terror attack
- Jury selection enters second day in Bill Cosby sex assault case
- 6,300-plus stoves recalled following electrocution death