CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - Human remains were discovered by a road crew early Wednesday afternoon in Carter County.
They were discovered along Gap Creek Road near Hampton by a survey crew working with the Gap Creek Road widening project.
Investigators on the scene tell us that everything they've found is still preliminary, but there was no evidence at the scene to lead them to an identification.
"This is being treated as an open death investigation," Sgt. Brian Durham told us. "Officers with the Carter County Sheriff's Department and agents with the TBI are assisting in the investigation."
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation was called in to help gather forensic evidence on the scene.
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University
- Kingsport man trying to make Halloween attractions accessible to all
- Tennessee voters encouraged to vote early