CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - Human remains were discovered by a road crew early Wednesday afternoon in Carter County.
They were discovered along Gap Creek Road near Hampton by a survey crew working with the Gap Creek Road widening project.
Investigators on the scene tell us that everything they've found is still preliminary, but there was no evidence at the scene to lead them to an identification.
"This is being treated as an open death investigation," Sgt. Brian Durham told us. "Officers with the Carter County Sheriff's Department and agents with the TBI are assisting in the investigation."
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation was called in to help gather forensic evidence on the scene.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash