CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - Human remains were discovered by a road crew early Wednesday afternoon in Carter County.
They were discovered along Gap Creek Road near Hampton by a survey crew working with the Gap Creek Road widening project.
Investigators on the scene tell us that everything they've found is still preliminary, but there was no evidence at the scene to lead them to an identification.
"This is being treated as an open death investigation," Sgt. Brian Durham told us. "Officers with the Carter County Sheriff's Department and agents with the TBI are assisting in the investigation."
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation was called in to help gather forensic evidence on the scene.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone