CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A former teacher is being sentenced after pleading guilty to sex charges.
The Carter County court clerk tells us Kelly Smith was sentenced to 30 days in jail. He was accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 13-year-old student.
He will also spend 60 days on court ordered work release and will be on probation for three years. Smith must register as a sex offender.
Smith had pleaded guilty to statutory rape and two counts of solicitation of a minor.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash