CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A former teacher at Hampton Elementary School in Carter County has been arrested for the second time this week. This time he's charged with aggravated statutory rape.
We first reported over the weekend 30 year old Kelly Smith is facing charges after being accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 13-year-old student.
Tonight, Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us Kelly has been arrested again, this time for statutory rape.
This second arrest comes after a 16 year old former student of his came forward telling authorities she had sexual intercourse with Smith.
According to the investigation, authorities believe that he engaged in an ongoing relationship with the juvenile dating back to when the child was in 6th grade.
The investigation also led to the recovery of a stolen semi-automatic assault rifle out of Knoxville.
Smith was released from the Carter County Detention Center Wednesday night on a $20,000 bond.
He is scheduled to go to court June 3, 2013.
- New UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- New Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program
- Report: Synthetic drug dealer from Pound gets 3.5 years in jail
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary offers vessel safety inspections