CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A former teacher at Hampton Elementary School in Carter County has been arrested for the second time this week. This time he's charged with aggravated statutory rape.
We first reported over the weekend 30 year old Kelly Smith is facing charges after being accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 13-year-old student.
Tonight, Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us Kelly has been arrested again, this time for statutory rape.
This second arrest comes after a 16 year old former student of his came forward telling authorities she had sexual intercourse with Smith.
According to the investigation, authorities believe that he engaged in an ongoing relationship with the juvenile dating back to when the child was in 6th grade.
The investigation also led to the recovery of a stolen semi-automatic assault rifle out of Knoxville.
Smith was released from the Carter County Detention Center Wednesday night on a $20,000 bond.
He is scheduled to go to court June 3, 2013.
- New 'Aerial Adventure' ropes course opens at ETSU
- Confederate nurse honored more than 150 years after Civil War
- Gov. Haslam hosts Appalachian Regional Commission conference
- Multiple agencies search for escaped inmate out of Washington County, Tenn.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities