ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A Carter County man accused of stealing money from his church appeared in court Monday.
The sheriff's office says 66-year-old Silas Edward Sams is accused of writing checks to himself while serving as the treasurer of Beck Mountain Baptist Church for several years.
Sams was arrested last week and charged with theft over $60,000. Click here to read more about the arrest.
He will be back in court on January 31 to give his plea.
- Red carpet rolled out in Bristol for the movie premiere of 'Believe'
- Rime ice caps area mountain tops just days after record highs
- Hundreds supported breast cancer at Tri-Cities Race for the Cure
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy