ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A Carter County man accused of stealing money from his church appeared in court Monday.
The sheriff's office says 66-year-old Silas Edward Sams is accused of writing checks to himself while serving as the treasurer of Beck Mountain Baptist Church for several years.
Sams was arrested last week and charged with theft over $60,000. Click here to read more about the arrest.
He will be back in court on January 31 to give his plea.
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program