ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A Carter County man accused of stealing money from his church appeared in court Monday.
The sheriff's office says 66-year-old Silas Edward Sams is accused of writing checks to himself while serving as the treasurer of Beck Mountain Baptist Church for several years.
Sams was arrested last week and charged with theft over $60,000. Click here to read more about the arrest.
He will be back in court on January 31 to give his plea.
- Updated Parents of 11-year-old convicted murderer sued in Jefferson County
- New Buchanan County drug roundup leads to over 20 arrests
- Updated Elizabethton police looking for credit card thieves
- Updated Highway 421 closed Tuesday between Mountain City and Shady Valley
- Tenn. Athletic Dir. Hart was not getting a new contract