CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - The 1st Judicial District is setting a historical mark. Judge Lisa Niddifer Rice has assumed the role as Criminal Court Judge of the 1st Judicial District.
She is the first woman to win a seat on that bench. We talked to Judge Rice about her achievement and the significance of her taking on her new role. "I think that my experience on both sides of the courtroom is more important than gender, but as female attorneys we have great role models in the judiciary to look to in this area," she said.
Judge Rice has 27 years of experience as both a prosecutor and defense attorney.
She beat out former Assistant District Attorney Dennis Brooks in the Republican primary back in May.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- Updated Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect
- Southwest VA school gets national recognition