ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - Two people are facing charges in connection with a New Year's Eve theft.
Surveillance video from the Walmart on Over Mountain Drive in Elizabethton showed two people stealing a purse that had been left in a shopping cart.
Captain Joy Markland with the Elizabethton Police Department said 27-year-old Amy Beth McKinney and 30-year-old Clinton Lee McKinney were identified through multiple tips as the pair in the video after surveillance images were circulated by media outlets.
Both McKinneys were taken into custody following a police interview on January 4. They are charged with theft over $1,000.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect