ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - Friday was a big day in Elizabethton as a hometown hero was honored. June 21 is officially now Jason Witten Day.
Witten, who played football at Elizabethton High and the University of Tennessee, is now number 82 for the Dallas Cowboys.
City leaders gave Witten the key to the city along with a painting of the historical Covered Bridge.
The football star tells News 5 he's simply humbled by all this local support. "As a young kid when I moved here, challenges all around. I never thought that many years later they'd have this day. I was just a kid with a dream and fortunate enough to have a lot of people chase that dream with me," said Witten.
Witten was thanked for the many ways he gives back, but the tight-end rewarded a fellow Elizabethton football star with a $5,000 scholarship as she heads to Milligan College.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day