ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - Friday was a big day in Elizabethton as a hometown hero was honored. June 21 is officially now Jason Witten Day.
Witten, who played football at Elizabethton High and the University of Tennessee, is now number 82 for the Dallas Cowboys.
City leaders gave Witten the key to the city along with a painting of the historical Covered Bridge.
The football star tells News 5 he's simply humbled by all this local support. "As a young kid when I moved here, challenges all around. I never thought that many years later they'd have this day. I was just a kid with a dream and fortunate enough to have a lot of people chase that dream with me," said Witten.
Witten was thanked for the many ways he gives back, but the tight-end rewarded a fellow Elizabethton football star with a $5,000 scholarship as she heads to Milligan College.
- Updated Firefighters battle Scott County house fire
- GOP opens new campaign spot in Washington County Tennessee
- Johnson City hosts first Kidney Foundation charity walk in the region
- Virginia State Police investigate deadly motorcycle crash
- Blood drive honors recovering Volunteer Parkway shooting victim