ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - The Elizabethton Police Department released the following information about a scam being reported in the area:
"The Elizabethton Police Department has received information of a possible scam that has been reported in the area.
Residents report being contacted by someone claiming to represent the Elizabethton Electric Department. The caller informs the resident that workers will be coming to replace the electric meter at the home, and the resident will be required to provide payment at that time.
They are also told that the Elizabethton Electric Department will reimburse them at a later date.
Our agency has confirmed with the Elizabethton Electric Department that this is not authorized and is not standard operating procedures.
We ask that the public please be mindful of this in order to avoid being a victim of fraud."
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone