ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - The Elizabethton Police Department released the following information about a scam being reported in the area:
"The Elizabethton Police Department has received information of a possible scam that has been reported in the area.
Residents report being contacted by someone claiming to represent the Elizabethton Electric Department. The caller informs the resident that workers will be coming to replace the electric meter at the home, and the resident will be required to provide payment at that time.
They are also told that the Elizabethton Electric Department will reimburse them at a later date.
Our agency has confirmed with the Elizabethton Electric Department that this is not authorized and is not standard operating procedures.
We ask that the public please be mindful of this in order to avoid being a victim of fraud."
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting