CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County corrections officer has been terminated amid an investigation into an assault on an inmate.
Chancelor Presnell was on the job for about nine months. We're told it started with an inmate making inappropriate remarks to a female corrections officer.
Presnell is accused of then assaulting the inmate.
Sheriff Chris Mathes says a criminal investigation is underway and the case will be presented to the grand jury in September.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash