CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - The race for Carter County sheriff took an interesting turn Wendesday morning -- Sheriff Chris Mathes may not be out of the running just yet.
Mathes lost his re-election bid in the May primary to Dexter Lunceford by less than 70 votes. Click here to read more.
The sheriff told News 5 this he will likely launch a write-in campaign in the August election to hold on to the office.
Mathes says overwhelming response from the community is behind his decision. He plans to make a final decision by this weekend.
County voters return to the polls for the general election in August.
The other two names in the race for sheriff will be Republican nominee Dexter Lunceford and independent candidate James Parrish.
- New Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- Updated School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing