CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - The race for Carter County sheriff took an interesting turn Wendesday morning -- Sheriff Chris Mathes may not be out of the running just yet.
Mathes lost his re-election bid in the May primary to Dexter Lunceford by less than 70 votes. Click here to read more.
The sheriff told News 5 this he will likely launch a write-in campaign in the August election to hold on to the office.
Mathes says overwhelming response from the community is behind his decision. He plans to make a final decision by this weekend.
County voters return to the polls for the general election in August.
The other two names in the race for sheriff will be Republican nominee Dexter Lunceford and independent candidate James Parrish.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane