ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - Clean up is underway Friday morning at the new Carter County jail.
We've confirmed with 911 dispatchers Friday morning that an inmate possibly tampered with a sprinkler head triggering the sprinkler system and causing water damage.
It happened around midnight. We've learned that some inmates had to be moved while crews worked to shut the water off.
Employees at the jail tell us there was a lot of water, but they're not sure just how many gallons filled the jail.
The Elizabethton Fire Department responded to the scene.
We'll continue to follow this story and have updates as we learn more.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death