CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County deputy sheriff is on administrative leave without pay after authorities say he was charged with assault and assault under domestic violence.
According to sheriff Chris Mathes, 25-year-old Matt Ainsworth was arrested Sunday morning after they received a call that he assaulted his girlfriend.
Mathes says Ainsworth will be on administrative leave pending the investigation.
He added it was disheartening to have to investigate one of his own.
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire