CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County deputy sheriff is on administrative leave without pay after authorities say he was charged with assault and assault under domestic violence.
According to sheriff Chris Mathes, 25-year-old Matt Ainsworth was arrested Sunday morning after they received a call that he assaulted his girlfriend.
Mathes says Ainsworth will be on administrative leave pending the investigation.
He added it was disheartening to have to investigate one of his own.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon