CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - A Carter County deputy sheriff is on administrative leave without pay after authorities say he was charged with assault and assault under domestic violence.
According to sheriff Chris Mathes, 25-year-old Matt Ainsworth was arrested Sunday morning after they received a call that he assaulted his girlfriend.
Mathes says Ainsworth will be on administrative leave pending the investigation.
He added it was disheartening to have to investigate one of his own.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting