CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. - UPDATE 5:04 p.m.: According to Sheriff Chris Mathes, the body found in the pond has been identified as 19-year-old Colton Oakes from Hampton, Tennessee.
UPDATE: Carter County sheriff Chris Mathes tells news 5 that an incident Tuesday night led to an investigation to find a 19-year-old man in a pond.
As Wednesday afternoon, the body found has no signs of foul play.
Mathes says the boy was cutting across the owner's property on Coleman Road when he stopped to jump in the owner's pond. They believe that he became stuck at the bottom.
They are sending the body for an autopsy.
Carter County authorities are on the scene where the body of a teenager was found in a pond.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says the body of a 19-year-old was found in the pond early Wednesday morning.
The pond is located on Coleman Road in Hampton.
Sheriff's deputies and EMS personnel are currently investigating.
Investigators believe they know the person's identity based on evidence found along the edge of the pond, but no names have been released yet.
We'll bring you more information as it's available.
- New 2-year-old drowns in North Carolina swimming pool
- New South Dakota teen with cancer gets OK to walk at graduation
- 2 juveniles charged in former Kingsport IGA building fire
- New resource plans to help mothers bearing drug addicted babies in Tri-Cities
- Many busy picking up the pieces after severe storms strike our region