Deserving students from a special Tri Cities school got the treat of a lifetime on Friday.
The pupils of Children Exceeding Expectations, an education program for children ages 3 to 12 suffering from cancer and immune deficiencies, found out they will be traveling to Walt Disney World and Resort in Florida next week.
School Director Hayley Dietrich said it took some work to keep the surprise under wraps then make the announcement.
"We tricked the kids to thinking they were having a Valentine's Day party with in the end the last Valentine was a surprise from Star Wars characters that surprised them with a Disney trip," said Dietrich.
Volunteers operate the school in donated space provided by Bristol Motor Speedway and donors are helping to make their Valentine's trip possible.
- New Virginia jury pays maid's fine after convicting her of stealing rings
- Updated 'Wise Works' program gives low-level offenders a second chance
- New Judge temporarily blocks new Trump rules on birth control
- Virginia governor proposes boost in mental health spending
- "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" opens Thursday with $45M