New facts show dozens of bridges in the Volunteer State are among thousands across the country which have seriously deteriorated or are at risk of collapsing.
According to the Associated Press's analysis of federal data, 64 bridges in Tennessee are listed on the federal inventory as structurally deficient and fracture critical. Experts call that combination particularly problematic.
The AP report says, across the country, more than 97,000 bridges fall into one or both of those categories.
In North Carolina more than 5,000 bridges are considered deficient or obsolete.
- Updated Bristol, Virginia scraps waterfall plan at the Falls
- New Kingsport hosts national gymnastics championship
- Updated Man and woman charged with attempted murder, kidnapping now on most wanted list
- Tennessee governor taking business recruiting trip to Europe
- Senate OKs bill to expand N. Carolina's 'revenge porn' law