BUTLER, Tenn. - The search is over for a fisherman from Roan Mountain, Tenn. who went missing after his boat hit an island on Watauga Lake.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes tells us the body of 61-year-old Landon Walter Campbell was discovered Sunday evening near the main channel between Fish springs Marina and Butler Bridge.
According to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, boaters found an unoccupied bass boat near Fish Springs Marina Sunday morning around 10. The boat's navigation lights were still on.
Investigators believe the fisherman launched the boat at Rat Branch boat ramp, several miles from the accident scene. A truck and empty trailer belonging to the Campbell were found at the ramp.
An autopsy will be performed.
- Updated Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson