KINGPORT, Tenn. - A Kingsport company is doing its part to help blood supplies in the region.
A State Farm Agency in Kingsport held a blood drive in honor of a co-worker's husband Mike Wilder who passed away in March.
Mike's wife Donna says the blood drive is being held in his memory because he was a frequent blood and platelet donor and she understands the importance if giving in the summer months when many people are unable to donate.
"It's a great holiday week. We're celebrating our independence and it's just such a great week where everyone is family and community orientate anyway, so we thought it'd be a great time," says Donna Wilder.
We're told about 50-people showed up to donate blood at Wednesday's drive.
- Dolly Parton films final scenes at Dollywood for her new Christmas movie
- Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development